Friday, March 27, 2009

Asus Eee PC 900 Recovery Blues

I have tried quite some distros on my Asus Eee PC 900, but I have finally done full circle, and decided to reinstall the "Xandros" OS that was installed on delivery. With the Ubuntu-based distros for the Eee that I have tried (Easy Peasy, eeebuntu, and Ubuntu itself) the sound in Skype cracks up. This is a common issue, but I have not been able to get it to work, despite all the tips and tricks I have found and tried. The closest I have come to a working setup on the Eee is with FluxFlux-Eee, where I get perfect sound in Skype. One major drawback of all these compared to the factory distro is the looong boot time, and that is one of the main reasons I have decided to revert. An alternative would be Moblin, but it is still only in alpha, and only works on SSE3-capable processors (read: Atom - the Celeron in the 900 does not have SSE3).

Unfortunately, I have no idea where I have put the recovery CD that came with the Eee PC, or if I even have it. The recovery CD is of course not downloadable from Asus (but the source code is, wonder how many people have actually tried to compile it). For some odd reason, there is a recovery image available on SourceForge, but only for the 701. Using that image actually works on my 900, but I don't get any sound (another confirmed issue without solution). As a last resort I could buy a replacement for the recovery cd from ASUSparts, but to shell out another €15 on the 900 is grim, since I am aldready beating myself up for not waiting for the Atom-based netbooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment